gigamarci

Which Oil to use for M2 (N55) for trackdays

9 Beiträge in diesem Thema

Hi everyone,

i just upgraded to an M2 and im concerned to what oil i should use now. Because in my previous M235i the engine broke down and it might have been the oil.. 

does someone who drives an M2 on the track know which oil works good for hard track use and drifting? 
Iwas thinking about something like 5w-50, but if 0w-40 or similar works great for you thats ok of course! I guess 0w-40 would be much better in the winter cause ill drive the car all year round. But does 5w-50 work in the winter aswell and does someone of you use that? 

Your help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Cheers, 

marc 

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Hi,

welcome to the Trackday Forum. Compared to the M235i, the BMW M2 has installed good engine cooling from stock - but you should always keep an eye on the temperature and not go over 130 degrees. If you spend a lot of time on the race track, it is recommended to upgrade your oil, water and dct cooler.

Many BMW M2 drivers are using the Motul 300V 5w50 or 0w40. More important is that you change your motor oil regularly. Every 2-3 trackdays

Cheers

2 Personen gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Hi, 5W-50 definitely works in the winter no problem, so thats what i would pick. This should be a good balance, not to thin for track use but since its a 5W its clearly not to thick for winter.

bearbeitet von mad90

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 5 Stunden schrieb gigamarci:

Hi everyone,

i just upgraded to an M2 and im concerned to what oil i should use now. Because in my previous M235i the engine broke down and it might have been the oil.. 

does someone who drives an M2 on the track know which oil works good for hard track use and drifting? 
Iwas thinking about something like 5w-50, but if 0w-40 or similar works great for you thats ok of course! I guess 0w-40 would be much better in the winter cause ill drive the car all year round. But does 5w-50 work in the winter aswell and does someone of you use that? 

Your help would be greatly appreciated :) 

Cheers, 

marc 

Ravenol VST 5W-40 (LL01), change

• every year OR
  • every 10000km road operation OR
  • every 1000 km track operation.

(Whatever happens first). You might consider going from 6.5l to 7l which is the quantity used in the M235iR / 240iR and M2CS Racing.

bearbeitet von Ruediger
3 Personen gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I would agree on the fact, that a frequent change can do much more good than the actual difference between 0W40 / 5W40 / 5W50.

5W50 seems to me the best compromise for a tracktool which sees lots of high rpm, but it is also much more susceptible to wear compared to an oil which does not have to cover such a high range. As the M2 is a turbo car and isn't such a high rpm needy car as the old M3 E92 and M3 E46 I could imagine that 5W40 works very well, too.

Otherwise points about the amount, temperature monitoring were already said.

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Just be aware that there are no xW50/xW60 on the BMW list of approved oils for the N55 engine.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I think it doesn't really matter, because the car is running so far out of spec when you are tracking it, the oil norms don't really matter that much anymore. The oil norms are always for stock cars, driven on the street.
Warranty is also far gone if you track it, so it doesn't matter also.

I would also go for a 5W50, at least 5W40.

bearbeitet von xerik
1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I am pretty happy with running 5w40 on everyday driving and trackdays with my N55.. Just make sure to change the oil frequently. 

Sorry for English, ich ist aus Dänemark und sprächen nicht sehr gut Deutsch. 

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I would no longer drive a 5W50 on the M2 (N55).
The 5W50 and 10W60 were still really popular with the M naturally aspirated engines.
But the tolerances have become so small and the turbochargers with the extremely high speeds no longer need such highly viscous oil.

A good 5W40 oil is absolutely suitable for the racetrack in the N55 and S55. As already noted here, you should change the oil at least every year.

I personally would recommend oils from Ravenol, Motul or Fuchs.
As far as I know, we in our group are all using Motul Ow40 or 5W40. Neither of us has ever had trouble or high oil consumption.

bearbeitet von Boesi
2 Personen gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag