15 Beiträge in diesem Thema

I'm wondering what would bethe best option cooling wise?

Option 1 : Run G11 coolant mixed 50/50 with water. 
Option 2: Run Motul Mocool mixed only with water 5% Mocool with 95% water. 
Option 3: Run G11 Coolant mixed 50/50 with water, but with suitable 5% Mocool too? 

Could the Mocool works as a stand alone, without G11 coolant? Car will never be driven in below freezing temps anyway.. But would maybe be started up, in the mornings when you have maybe +5 degrees... Or had overnight temps just around 0degrees.. Water doesnt really freeze in 0 degrees in pressurized system if i remember correct. 

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Wenn man den Infos bei Motul glauben kann kann man das Mocool auch mit Frostschutz und Wasser mischen.
Ich würde 50% Wasser, 45% Frostschutz und 5% Mocool fahren. 

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Personally I'd go with Option 1.

I ran 25% G48 and 5% Mocool a few years back and I'm pretty sure my waterpump died prematurely because of the low concentration of antifreeze. Now I'm running the recommended 50/50 mix of G48 and water and didn't see any difference in temperature on track.

Mocool might work but for me it didn't make any difference.

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 31 Minuten schrieb Phil130i:

Personally I'd go with option 1.

I ran 25% G48 and 5% Mocool a few years back and I'm pretty sure my water pump died prematurely because of the low concentration of antifreeze. Now I'm running the recommended 50/50 mix of G48 and water and didn't see any difference in temperature on track.

Mocool might work but for me it didn't make any difference.

That's what i was a bit worried about too with 5% dilution in 95% water..
Ive always driven with 50/50 mix of coolant and coolant temps are not really an issue. But as I just saw that there was some additive that might would be better for lubrication and overall performance of the cooling system i was starting to think about using it.. But looking through Motuls Technical datasheet, doesnt really tell if its just a "placebo" product.. 
I will continue using the G11 coolant in the 50/50 mix..

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. :100_pray: 

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Mocool doesn't even feel like a lubricant in the concentrated form. In a 5% dilution it's even worse. A 50/50 antifreeze mix feels kinda oily in comparison.

Mocool might be good as a corrosion inhibitor on some "older" engines with different mixed metals and a conventional waterpump.

That's the only way I can see their "15°C lower temp" claim. Less rusty water = better heat transfer.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Ich mische schon seit Jahren 75% Wasser mit 25% Antifreeze G48 in meinem Mini (Track only). Bisher nie Probleme gehabt und gefühlt wurde die Kühlleistung etwas besser. Ist aber immer schwer Messbar, finde ich.

Von den MoCool / Waterwetter etc. Additiven hört man aber generell immer gute Sachen. Glaube aber, dass der Effekt bei Oldtimern mit klassischen Thermostaten besser ist als bei den modernen Kisten.

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 1 Minute schrieb Phil130i:

Makes fully sense! And i'm going to use demineralised water anyway, so corrosion wont be an issue either. 
The only thing that worries me a bit, if i should have another leak of coolant.. Would love to have some that wasnt as slippery/oily... But i guess, its a game between safety for other cars and safety for the components on our cars.
Normally im on the top of my game looking my car through before every trackday.. But shit can happen, and it did last time I was around the track, luckily it was so minor, that the coolant was drying up in the engine bay before it could come out.. Had to top up around 2 litres for 800kms trackdriving and around 200km road driving, so the useage was very minor. 

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 6 Minuten schrieb Mxwld:

Ich mische schon seit Jahren 75% Wasser mit 25% Antifreeze G48 in meinem Mini (Track only). Bisher nie Probleme gehabt und gefühlt wurde die Kühlleistung etwas besser. Ist aber immer schwer Messbar, finde ich.

Von den MoCool / Waterwetter etc. Additiven hört man aber generell immer gute Sachen. Glaube aber, dass der Effekt bei Oldtimern mit klassischen Thermostaten besser ist als bei den modernen Kisten.

So what is the main difference between G48 and G11? Is G11 just a new spec of coolant for BMW? 
I tried googling this, but have not been lucky to scource the right information between them.. 

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Just realised the G11 im speaking about is indeed G48.. The G11 spec is VAG spec, but its is something that my local BMW dealer also call their OEM coolant.. So sorry for the confusion, it is indeed G48 i must search and buy for my car. 

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 45 Minuten schrieb VikingPower:

But i guess, its a game between safety for other cars and safety for the components on our cars.

When my waterpump seized the temps went up quicker than I ever thought. There was no previous warning, no CEL, suddenly the red temp light came up and by the time I realised the meaning the temp was already at 121°C. One second later I already had water all over the windscreen and a trail of smoke behind my car. Everything was covered in water. Engine, Brakes, wheels, complete right side of the car, rear brakes, undertray... Only from the overflow.

I fully understand your point: safety of others <--> safety of components. But I'd rather have a (somewhat) reliable cooling system than knowingly risk a sudden waterpump failure.

Either way, when bad stuff happens, it happens FAST.

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Phil130i:

Its crazy how fast things can go wrong. The waterpump was changed though, in the winter for the 2023 season. So everything there is all "new".. But having the cooling system to fail seems to be very common on the BMW's.. especially the ones with eletric driven coolant pump.. 

Yes, i'm fully with you in that regard..  We can't ensure 100% that things won't have a bad outcome for others if shit happens on our own cars, but atleast we can try to make our cars + components as reliable and safe as possible.
Which has been my mantra for the whole car throughout the years.. But some things you just can't be ready for.. Fx a broken coolant pump, oilsump being punched a hole into or what elsen in that regard.. Broken engine etc.. I think most of us regular track day folks, have this mindset.. 

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

You can also go the easy way with Millers Extra Cool. Just add it to your coolant, that's it.

Don't expect wonders, but in my cars I could push down the coolant temperature about 3-4°C, which is not bad IMHO for such a simple action.

2 Personen gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag
vor 13 Minuten schrieb Fox906bg:

You can also go the easy way with Millers Extra Cool. Just add it to your coolant, that's it.

Don't expect wonders, but in my cars I could push down the coolant temperature about 3-4°C, which is not bad IMHO for such a simple action.

Cooling water temps that are over 13-14 degrees lower are not realistic in my opinion either.
This is more of an advertisement from Motul to buy this stuff.
If that brings 3-4 degrees like @Fox906bg has with the Millers stuff then I think that's really great.
I'll stick with the old, familiar method. Water temps too high, get a bigger cooler!!

bearbeitet von Boesi
2 Personen gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I will just use the 50/50 mixture.. I dont really have issues with temperatures.. But Just wanted to know if the Motul was more than just a placebo or could be used standalone. But after Phil's experiences, i'm just gonna pour in the normal coolant mixture as ive always used :12_slight_smile:

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

I‘m sure that is the best way! 

1 Person gefällt das

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag